Skip to main content

The Legacy We Leave


Have you ever thought about what people will say when the day arrives that you leave this earth? My mother passed away exactly one month ago now and it made me consider again this quote by Lin Yutang:

"Belief in our mortality, the sense that we are eventually going to crack up and be extinguished like the flame of a candle, I say, is a gloriously fine thing. It makes us sober; it makes us a little sad; and many of us it makes poetic. But above all, it makes it possible for us to make up our mind and arrange to live sensibly, truthfully, and always with a sense of our own limitations."

I've thought a lot about what phrases or quotes define me. I can identify with the statements above and I want my life to count. I want my life to be summed up by the lines of the following songs:

"I Hope You Dance": I hope you never lose your sense of wonder You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger May you never take one single breath for granted God forbid love ever leave you empty handed I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance, I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance Never settle for the path of least resistance Livin' might mean takin' chances, but they're worth takin' Lovin' might be a mistake, but it's worth makin' Don't let some Hellbent heart leave you bitter When you come close to sellin' out, reconsider Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance, I hope you dance

and

"Live Like You Were Dying": "And I became a friend a friend would like to have And all of a sudden going fishin' Wasn't such an imposition And I went three times that year I lost my dad I finally read the Good Book, and I Took a good, long, hard look At what I'd do if I could do it all again And then I went skydiving I went Rocky Mountain climbing I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fumanchu And I loved deeper And I spoke sweeter And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying" And he said "Someday I hope you get the chance To live like you were dying Like tomorrow was a gift And you've got eternity To think about What you'd do with it

and by this quote from St Therese of Lisieux -

"Christ has no body now on earth but yours, no hands but yours, no feet but yours. Yours are the eyes through which He looks compassion on the world. Yours are the feet with which He is to go about doing good. Yours are the hands with which He is to bless men now."

My mother lived that kind of life and was a blessing to everyone who knew her. I hope that when the time comes for me to leave this earth, people will say I also danced instead of letting life pass me by. I lived as though every day was my last. And I did magnify Christ to those around me. How about you? What kind of legacy do you want to leave? You were born for a reason. Are you making your life count? Carol

My New Podcast!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Opt-in Forms

I spent today creating opt-in forms for each of my blogs. Mind you, other than this one on blogger, which is so easy to install, I have no idea what to do next. My other blogs are in Wordpress and have to be copied into the HTML code. For a non-techie like me, that is a big deal. Update: With the newer versions of Wordpress and the use of widgets with most themes, adding an opt-in form is now as easy as on a Blogger blog. I went to Aweber and created my form, copied the code that's produced and pasted it into my HTML widget. And I even sound like a techie, don't I? Until next time, Carol

Youtube Videos - Are You Using Them?

Creating more Youtube videos is on my to-do list for this spring. But I think I need to take a lesson from my granddaughter's future husband and learn to use humor much more than I do. Here is a recent video he created to give you an idea of what I mean. Don't miss the surprise ending. Until next time, Carol

Jet Lag and NAMS 4

Okay, it wasn't a jet, but I did take a 747 to NAMS. And yes, I've been back for a week now. But it takes me a while to recover so you won't get all the juicy details for a bit longer yet. All I can say is I took loads of notes, hung out with some amazing people, and wish they didn't live so far away. I learned a lot and really enjoyed the sessions with Bob 'The Teacher' Jenkins, Karon Thackston, and Kathleen Gage. Of course all of the presenters were great, but those three I got the most from. And I had a 15 minute consultation with Mark Hendricks as well. The last NAMS I didn't think I had anything to discuss with him, but this time I forced myself to sign up. I was super nervous, but he was very easy to talk to, and he actually liked my idea for a membership site. I'll talk more about that another time. Once I get my notes organized, I'll give you my top ten takeaway points. Now the challenge is to do them, not stay in learning mode. So